I bought Rift as I wanted a new MMO to play.
I don't want to start the 'it's just like WoW' speech as that's been done. What Rift does is take all the BEST BITS out of every MMO I've played and merged them into one game.
WoW will always have a special place in my heart ... but I welcome Rift with open arms. Welcome to 2011.
The bits I LOVE:
1) Graphically ... unbelievable!!! The toon animation/spells/water/trees/fire all look like no other MMO out there
2) THE RIFTS! You could be walking through a field, it's clear and sunny when you hear a loud ROAR and a Rift opens up!
3) Every quest giver (new/complete) is highlighted on the map (you'll never get lost or wonder where to hunt mobs)
4) The quests themselves are well thought out (ok some are kill 10 of these but it's an MMO)
5) Hybrid toon creation r.e. You chose a Warrior, but as you level, you can have 3 different soul trees meaning I can also heal/cast spells :)
6) If you see someone fighting a Rift the games auto groups you as you approach so you receive equal reward and fight as one. Genius!
7) The capital city is easy to navigate
8) In the city you'll find the banker, tradesmen and trainers all in the SAME location (no need to run back and forth)
9) Lots of strategy when playing i.e. you have to plan your runs across country as mobs watch your every move
10) If I kill three mobs at the same time I only have to click one of them and I loot all!
To be honest, this list could go on and on. This game is pretty special.
The bits I HATE:
1) You need a GOOD/GREAT PC to play it
2) Like point 1, a good PC will stop slow down during Rifts
Rift is more than I hoped it would be . It excels in ALL areas and deserves to succeed.