When I received this in the post I was... disappointed but, it has grown on me as time has gone on. Here are a few of my thoughts on the new pspgo
1. When compared to the first psp it felt cheap (in my opinion this is something each psp has suffered with since the original). I can appreciate wanting to reduce weight and costs, but in my mind the first psp feels like quality, the pspgo (whilst I am sure would withstand use) feels like I am going to snap it in half.
2. The buttons. They don't feel like buttons, they are responsive and they do the job, but for me it doesn't feel like I am pushing anything.
3. Still no second analogue stick and opting to put the select and start buttons where the second stick should be; which whilst symmetrical just looks awful and if you have an adult sized thumb impossible to press (well difficult at least).
4. The sliding screen which whilst making the device smaller just feels like a gimmick. The ps button doesn't look right being on that part of the device and in my opinion should have been with the other buttons where it could have been concealed.
5. Non standard usb connection. This was something I thought Sony did well in both the ps3 and the UMD psp's. They used industry standard parts; unlike Microsoft and the Xbox. So no special hard drives or unique fitting usb cables or adapters.
So why then did Sony drop this for the PSPgo and create that entirely new cable/fitting???
6. M2 memory card only slot. I don't have a gripe about the type; just it would have been nice not to have to buy yet another type of memory card. Also it means you can't use the mem stick duo from other PSP's, so it's another thing you have to buy.
However, despite the above the pspgo has grown on me, mostly because of
7. The comfortable hand position, for some reason the UMD PSP's really gave my hand cramp after prolonged use.
8. The fact that its light and so portable, the first psp seems very much like a brick in comparison
9. the screen; yes it's a slightly smaller screen (I don't quite understand why they wanted to reduce the size since visually it looks like the UMD psp screen would have fitted in the same space - but I am sure they have their reasons), it is nice and clear. The 2nd and 3rd generations of the PSP I thought suffered from slight delays/ghosting but that's only my opinion
10. Movies/video - still limited to just mp4 which is annoying (but not totally unsurprising), but they do play well.
Things I want to avoid using on it
11. The wifi - it simply sucks. It just seems so slow to me. Yes files are getting bigger, but there is little to no point in having wifi on the PSPgo if it's that slow. Downloading games on the device itself I would avoid as download rates are limited because of the low rates available.
12. Sony's PC media software - why why why? It looks almost exactly like I-tunes (and I hate that software). It's completely unnecessary in my opinion, and in itself not that fast when transferring media downloaded on the PC to the pspgo
So most of that seems negative (probably because I still really love my first psp) however, the shining grace of the PSPgo has to be that they ditched the UMD (ahem mini disc) format, opting for digital/downloadable/non physical media.
It might be annoying that we might have games/films in UMD format that we can't use on the pspgo - but this really is the way things are going.
If you don't have a PSP then this is a good first device. If you do well unless you want something smaller I honestly wouldn't bother upgrading (since there is very little to no difference functionality wise).
Wait for when Sony actually release a PSP 2.
(thats my 2 pennies worth).