Before I start I will declare my allegiances. I have been pro evo through and through until 2008, where I actually part exchanged pro evo 08 for fifa 08, as I though PES had too many flaws. This year going into it with an open mind.
- Very slick visuals and presentation. But its EA sports, and you would expect nothing less.
- Much smoother framerate than Fifa 08.
- Very nice realistic touches, such as the players pointing to where they want the ball to be played.
- Be a pro mode, nuff said.
- Shooting has improved tenfold.
- Difficulty curve seems to have been altered. Last year, on world class, playing Real Madrid felt no different than playing Accrington Stanley. From what I have played of the demo, it felt significantly easier playing against Toronto than it did Real Madrid.
- Gameplay still feels a bit more scripted than that of PES.
- Controls still are not as responsive as they could be, which is annoying as they have had 12 months to fix this from 08. Very frustrating when you try to time a run with a through-ball and press triangle, yet by the time the player has hit the through-ball, your winger/striker is a country mile offside.
- Still very difficult to beat a man in a normal game, even with the likes of Kaka or Ronaldiniho up agains a left back from some pub team. As a result of this, I have found most of the goals come through the middle and not many at all are scored from crosses.
A definite improvement over Fifa 08. Seems like EA have definately listened regarding the flaws from 08. Although not without its flaws, a solid update, and it will take something pretty special from PES 2009 to beat this (although early reviews for both have been good, they have been favouring PES slightly).