I've played Final Fantasy games for a long time, 7 through 13 now, and FF13 by FAR is the worst FF I have ever played, and heres why;
- No more exploration. Forget all about the times when you lost hours just exploring the FF world. Theres none of that in FF13. Nothing to discover, no shops to discover new weapons or armours, no inns, no towns to explore and marvel at, etc.
- In FF13 the levels are designed like long winding tunnels, extremely laborious and just plain poor. In other words, the game is tediously linear.
- FF13 weapon / armour upgrade system is near useless as to push on with any upgrades you need GIL which is almost non-existent until the latter stages of the game when enemies drop items actually worth something in order to buy parts to give your weapons and armours experience. Takes all the enjoyment of customising weapons and armour out the game. A poor implementation of the upgrade system FF10 offered. Theres no New Game + option either once you beat the game, if you were thinking it could be the upgrade systems saving grace.
- Battles are often a drawn out yawn-fest. In FF13 you can only control ONE character in the party unlike previous FF games when you could choose the commands for every character in the party. Instead the 2 "CPU controlled" party members will just tend to do things willy-nilly. Very frustrating when your on a 5 on 3 situation and your trying to get your party to focus their attacks on one enemy - usually they won't. Or, when you want to cast status effects but aren't controlling the right character, the CPU will more often than not cast the same status effect spell over and over and over and over and over and over again....
- Compared to other FF games, the story is also pretty weak.
In summary, if this game had anything other than a Final Fantasy name on it reviewers everywhere would be calling it a big hot steaming pile of dung. My advice is go and buy God Of War 3, Dantes Inferno, Heavy Rain, or just about any other game instead of FF13, you will enjoy them more.
Poor show Square, poor show.