- Storyline coop for up to four players
- A huge amount AND variation of ranged weapons
- A "good enough" skill system for the RPG fans
- Action enough for the FPS crowd
- No character creation or customalization
- They've done a good job in combining the genres RPG&FPS, but it would be even better if there was a selection of straightforward classes for the FPS focused, and more complex classes for the RPG minded.
- With such a complex weapon system in place it seems almost weird that there are no weapon customalization options. From a technical point of view it's practically there already - all that's left is the user interface...
I think this is one of the few games recently that actually lives up to it's hype. They said it'd be a "RPG light" action FPS with a zillion different weapons. And that's exactly what it is, not more, not less. There are levels, you get skillpoints to distribute, the amount of weapons are jawdropping, no less. It's not only the traditional damage/range/reload/accuracy stats that differs and an experienced RPG player will be pleased to know that there are a good selection of s.k. "buffs", everything from dot's (damage over time), additional elemental damage (fire, acid, etc), damage bonus, crit chance bonus, snares, the whole lot, it's there, and it makes finding new weapons a true treasure hunt.
Regarding the graphics it's definately different, but it's *not* bad. I think it's cool with developers that try something different, it adds so much to the overall "personality" of the game, and that's a good thing in my book.
But be aware: This is not a pure FPS. This is neither a fully fledged role-playing game. It really is 50/50. As a fan of the RPG genre I miss a few ingredients (like character creation, a more complex storyline and trade skills), and I can only guess that some FPS purists probably will find the skill system and the enormous amount of weapon variations distracting.
To me the biggest selling point for this game is the coop feature. If coop storyline games are your thing look no further. The coop mode is rock solid and as easy as it can get: Just invite or join your buddy ingame at any time (practically identical to how things work in Saints Row 2, another excellent coop game). Up to four players can share the experience and whatever loot you find or cash you make follows your character regardless of who is hosting.