I had planned on writing up a review for this game, and I suppose this can be considered a review of some sort, but I decided I would rather just make a pros and con list. This is my opinion after playing the game for 36 hours:
Fun combat system. It's not as innovative or unique as they try to market it, but it's fun nonetheless. It mostly only applies to melee classes, magic users still have a standard MMO feel to them (from what I've heard)
- Best graphics for an MMO to date. The game looks good; characters, environments, it's all pretty. However, it takes a damn good PC to run the game at max settings with a high frame rate. Keep that in mind.
- A decent character creator. I wasn't wowed by it, but it good enough.
That's basically it for the pros. I'm having a very hard time coming up with anything else to praise besides one of the core aspects of the game, combat, was actually interesting and mildly entertaining. It was a fresh of breath air from other MMO games, but it's not something that will make you suddenly hate how any other MMO is played after playing this. At least not for me.
- Tons of bugs and glitches and game exploits. People have power leveled to 80 (max level) within a couple days because of exploits in certain classes. People have gotten stuck in places (me included). People have lost money in the game. Quests are broken. Now, I understand it's an MMO and most MMO games have rough starts, but seriously, there are a lot of bugs that could have easily been squashed during beta. How were these overlooked?
- Lame UI. No customization to it.
- Lame chat box. The chat box has already had an update from a patch to make better because of how many complaints there was for it, but it's still subpar. There needs to be more options for it. Cliche as it might be, it needs to take a lesson from WoW.
- Poor party system. If the people in your party aren't 50 feet from you, they don't show up on your radar or map. It can be a burden to find them.
- PvP is a wreck at this point. Some people disagree, they will tell you to "learn 2 play", but I can play video games just fine, and this PvP system is in dire need of a change. Besides the balance issues (which are expected for an MMO at launch) the combat system, the good part of the game, does not mesh well for PvP. If you're melee, a lot of people will escape you. Unless both people stand still and fight, it's extremely hard to pull off your special moves (called combos) on them. If you run in circles, strafe, try to dodge, like you should be doing, it's almost impossible to use combos, you just have to use basic attacks to try and win a fight, and that's boring.
- Quests are no better than any other MMO. This doesn't bother me too much, but I'm sure it's something others won't like. They are your basic fetch, kill, and messenger quests. Nothing new.
- You need somewhat of a "super computer" to play this with reasonable fps, I spent over £500 for completly new hardware, graphics card etc. -
- Bugs galore! - broken quests, pvp, craft, stats.
Overall, I felt stupid buying this game, for such a big hype, it's let me and many other gamers frustrated. I've spent possibly $545.99 altogether to play this, a failure by FunCom.
However, the game still has enjoyable points that I enjoyed while playing, a unique combat system & character creation.