After being unexpectedly impressed by the Fifa 09 demo and after the disappointing PES 2008, its safe to say that Konami have to deliver this year, and they have...to an extent.
- No more jerkovision replays.
- Looks significantly better than last year. The player models are head and shoulders over Fifa 09, if you want proof of that look at Frank Lampard in both games.
- It plays a different game of football to Fifa. I'm not going to say better or worse as thats down to personal preference. The game is much more free flowing. Although it is alot harder to beat a man now with pace and tricks, it is still possible. Hence if you want to play slow tactical build up, possession, longball, down the wing, its up to you wheras Fifa forces you to play a passing game (one reason being its nigh on impossible to beat a man!!).
- Each player feels like an individual. Although this aspect of Fifas game has improved this year, PES still leads in this department. For example, try beating a man down the wing with Rio Ferdinand...not going to happen. Try it again with Ronaldo....you get the idea.
- THE GOALKEEPERS. Some aspects of the keepers have been improved (ie they no longer parry the ball into their own net from free kicks) but STILL the keepers opt to parry relatively harmless shots/crosses rather than catching them, quite often into the arms of the opposition striker.
- Even less licenses than last year, although the edit mode goes some way into making up for this.
- Master League. As has been said in many other reviews, how long as this been left untouched for? Think Konami need to pull their finger out and think of something new here.
After playing both games in all honest I would say its a tie game this year, and down to personal preference. Licenses aside, if you want a faster, more fluid, free flowing game of football then go for PES, if you want a slower more tactical simulation of the beautiful game, go for Fifa.
PES is back on form this year, although its not the 'radical overhaul' promised my Konami, and in all honesty, this is what PES2008 should have been.
However, I must note, I am giving this game a four on the basis that the online play is functional this time. If this proves not to be the case then I shall be changing the review to a three and recommending Fifa 09 over this.